View Single Post
Old 01-18-21, 06:32 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Well.. to be fair. You guys out east have access to some better developed rail trails and historic towns to tour around. I'm sometimes envious of tours that can see a lot of history or sites with a moderate amount of riding.
Yup, and some neat history too.

But right now I think this entire area is closed to visitors. This was at the end of my GAP and C&O trip several years ago.

Originally Posted by elcruxio
Typically I'd suggest to DIY the second wheelset on any bike but with a fatbike I will admit that it's a bit of a pita. Especially if you don't have experience with wheelbuilding. I'm right now considering whether I should let my local wheelbuilder build me a new set of touring wheels or get a new truing stand with thru axle compatability. It'd be a lot cheaper to let the wheelbuilder build the wheels initially, but in the long run I'd save money.
I do not own a wheel truing stand, use the bike frame or fork as my wheel stand. I use the brake blocks on rim brakes to check it for straightness, several times will pull out the wheel and turn it around to get the dishing right. If you lack rim brakes, I have heard some people put a zip tie on a stay or fork blade to use as their gauge to check rim straightness.

ADDENDUM:

Ooops, I just realized I am talking to two Canadians and a Finn. The building above is the Lincoln Memorial, Lincoln was a famous president of USA over a century and a half ago.

Major bummer here, I do not have a photo of Province House in Charlottetown to show for you Canadians. I stayed three nights at a hostel three blocks away from Province House and would show a photo if I had one. I was there on Canada Day in 2019, it rained all day.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 01-18-21 at 06:45 AM.