View Single Post
Old 01-21-21, 10:58 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmb
I spent some more time on this last night. I backed off the loose side to move the rim in the direction it needs to go in order to get the dish just right. I ended up with this....DS=96kgf and NDS=135kgf. At this point I can leave it, increase tension all the way around or decrease tension all the way around. Dish is perfect, trueness is perfect and tension is equal all the way around of each side. I confirmed that velocity's spec is only applicable to drive side. The NDS ends up where ever it ends up. I thought the spec was for both sides. I am leaning towards calling it good as is.
Although the 135 is at the high end its still well within reason of where it should be and so if those are your tensions, its straight, true and round I wouldn't screw with it any further. Its good.

Originally Posted by mrmb
This is exactly what I did. And now I am wondering something.....is it better to be driving the side with more tension or the side with less tension or does it not make a difference?

As in, will a wheel that is driven by the side with greater tension going to last longer? Be stronger? Hold up to abuse better? Or is this a 100% non-issue?
Good question, when torque is applied to the hub it applies to both sides and with a quality hub it applies it fairly equally to both sides, the hub shouldn't really wind up one side more then another. I suspect it will make some difference but with the amount of tension you have at 95kgf on the lower tension side I doubt it will make enough of a difference to matter. Where spokes really fatigue is the constant loading and unloading cycles they experience as the wheel rolls along and that will still be the same either way. I would also like to see this setup with the disc side being used as the driveside and how its being used.