View Single Post
Old 02-04-21, 09:33 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
A quick search found a couple of options here........... https://www.retro-gression.com/collections/forks
Thanks. I have actually been to that retrogression site, probably with a similar general search. I think I looked and didn't see anything available in the size I need (about 170mm) or they have very small rakes (35- "track" or 41 for the road forks). But looking again, the one they do have in the size I need warrants another look because it looks nice and should be good quality. Also need to give some thought whether a 41 rake would work out. I think the bike was originally built with a 45 or 43.

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
The best place for your needs, not fully knowing them is the back of an old bike shop, your local bike coop, or ebay. If you are patient a nice one will show up. The problem with threaded 1" steerers is that they all varied in size, so you could find one used in your size or greater to make it happen, but you'll need someone who knows how to cut it properly.
Yea, unfortunately, we don't have any bike shops like that around here and no co-op. The thing about ebay is that I have done it quite a bit (bought sold several frames, complete bikes and a bunch of components. And you're right, time and patience usually works, but the specs, especially for forks, are often uncertain. Often you have to ask to even get the steer tube and thread lengths, let alone other features. But I plan to check it regularly (I have a couple of canned searches) unless and until I find a new one I like. think I'd rather, for this fork, just find something new and short cut the process. I don't mind paying a premium to just get it done, find something that is unused, and also to know exactly what I'm getting.

Originally Posted by nlerner
Thanks. I have looked there recently and didn't see anything for a straight on road bike with rim brakes.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-04-21 at 09:48 PM.