Old 02-22-21, 12:48 PM
mddobbs

Bikes: Comotion Primera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by reburns
My experience with the Wound Up fork is very different. I did install a brake booster on a steel fork, to control brake squeal, but never felt the need on either of my Wound Up forks as the v-brake power is very strong. But the first fork I bought as part of a used bike showed some signs of galvanic corrosion on the legs near the aluminum crown. Wound Up recommended replacement and offered a very generous trade-in deal. I replaced the fork with the newer carbon crown design, which also provides a solid foundation for the v-brakes.

If a brake booster is making a noticeable difference on your fork, I would encourage you to carefully inspect the integrity of the crown/leg interface to make sure that you don’t have a potential safety issue.
Thanks for the heads up. I have a aluminum crown on my fork, and I don't see any corrosion. One thing I forgot to mention is that the rim in question, the Da Vinci V-22, has flat, but not machined side walls. In my experience with MTB rims, machined side-walls always worked better with V-brakes than flat, un-machined side walls. It may have been more costly/difficult to machine them with the extra lip, which was included to prevent brake pad induced sidewall blowouts:

The correct tandem bicycle wheels can be a big decision