Thread: Groin pain
View Single Post
Old 03-03-21, 07:53 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
I think the concept of “level saddle” is not clearly defined, especially for the modern saddle shapes built during the last 5-10 years. That is because many saddles are far from being plane, so they have no level base to measure the tilting angle. Example below: a road saddle shape preferred by many producers:

1. With below definition of “level saddle”, it is obvious that the saddle has a higher lever around groin area, than the level at the sit bones. I think that many riders would have unacceptable pressure over groin area, especially if the handlebar is lower than the saddle, and despite the cut off and curved down “nose”.

2. With below definition of “level saddle”, the above groin issue should disappear for most riders; further 1-2 degrees “nose down” would be a “safety margin” – which I use to take. But you can see that visually, it looks rather like a “tilted down” than "level" position.

Overall, I think that this shape is good for performance but cannot be very comfortable (even when perineal issue is avoided) because it will always pass a little more pressure on arms and back. But this pressure and the eventual little tendency to move the sit bones forward should be alleviated by bigger pedaling force – which is supposed to be the case for riders who follow a more vigorous training programme – or by a small program of strengthening arms and back.
My saddles (mostly Fizik Alliante VSX or siimilar) aren't quite as curved as this one, but are always pointed down about 1-2° (measured like the top drawing). I always think I must be "doing it wrong" because the lore is that they should be level, but the slight downward tilt is what works for me. I don't find myself sliding forward with this setting - most of my weight is on my "sit bones".