Old 03-08-21, 09:35 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Happy Foot...

I think you are being too one track minded here and all you keep focusing on is downhill gravity riding and how an e-bike would be good for getting back to the top of the hill instead of being hauled back up in a truck or chairlift. While I can somewhat maybe agree with you on that for the downhill riding...I think the real issue being discussed here, which you are missing, is e-bikes used on trails where you have to pedal a lot. Repeatedly going to the top of the hill and coasting back down IS NOT trail riding. That's Enduro/Downhill riding where the bike practically pedals itself.

That video you posted doesn't shown anyone pedaling down Whistler. As I noted above...they are coasting downhill. Your video proves my point on that.

DMC...I'm sure the increased heart rate has to do with the thrill and adrenaline rush from enduro riding.
I don't think it's being one track minded as much as showing a concrete real life example. I fully agree that my example is regional but it illustrates that one can't make blanket statements about a form of riding. My though on e-mtb is: It depends... I look at it in logistical terms. What I don't do is judge someones motivation for riding a certain way just because it's not "my" way.

I've ridden in other areas, on trails that could take e-mtb use, trails that could not, and many trails that are degraded and eroded just by regular mtb use. Where is the ban against mtbs in that case? The reality is e-mtb is going to make off road riding more popular by opening it up to, or extending the capacity of, riders who might not have otherwise considered it. That is happening, it will happen. Whether that's because of age, infirmity or just choice. IDK or care. Not my call to make but.. those riders will need to be considered one way or the other. We can be proactive or reactive or hide out heads in the sand, however, at some point they will have numbers, advocacy and want access in the same way we want access. Morally, and usually legally, we have no grounds to deny it. Most areas current mtbrs ride in isn't actually owned by those riders. In some cases its occupied by default, in others right of way is ceded, in others it's managed by a park or granted governance over by an association. All of those things can be sought by e-mtbrs too. They can make associations, lobby, occupy.

As to pedalling downhill. I defy you to stand on a soap box and tell all those riders, and anyone really who are doing DH or feeriding that they are not mountain biking - which is what you said. I also do XC but really have to drive 3 hours to get to good areas for that. But that is just one discipline of several in mountain biking. Locally we are primarily down hill with some choosing to ride uphill trails but many others seeking various mechanical assists. No one says they aren't mountain biking.

I think you look at your unique local and personal situation and project it upon the whole genre and user group. There are many types of mtbing, and many use groups/motivations.

As to the pics of the bikes posted. I didn't do that to prove a point about downhill parks. You misconstrued that in an attempt to invalidate. It was to show there was very little difference between manual and e assist models and that they were more bicycle than motorcycle. I stand by that point.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-08-21 at 01:05 PM.