Old 03-09-21, 10:09 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
A few things to unpack here (since you brought up some logical fallacies)

a. First we have ad populum fallacy. (majority opinion is truth). Sort of a "resistance is futile" argument, as presented here. But it is not even an effective use, as clearly not everyone agrees with this.

b. Then we have argumentum ad verecundiam (appeal to authority). Not only is this a flawed argument under the best of circumstances, but who it the authority you are appealing to here? Bike manufacturers? Bike manufacturers are now the authority on how e-bikes are classified by government agencies and perceived by the public? Does this apply to all industries, or just for bikes?

c. While it is not a logical fallacy per se, I am at a loss to understand what issue you have with my advocating for making accommodations for the disabled. I would have thought this was just commonly accepted decency. Apparently not.
Why why why... why not just make an argument to debate instead of conflating everything with rhetorical mumbo jumbo?

a. Majority opinion? That's what happens now on this forum when the majority of manual mtb riders make fun of or dismiss the use of e-mtbs. All I am saying is that this will change when the numbers shift and those riders also begin to flex their collective clout. It's not an appeal to anything. Just an observation.

b. Appeal to authority? Sorry, I'm just making some points on an internet discussion forum. There is no authority here other than the mods. I'm not even really advocating - just pointing out some emerging realities.

c. Really, do you expect anyone to believe that bit about labeling e-riders as handicapped was sincere. From my POV just another attempt to denigrate that stems from a misguided world view that suggests the only valid reason for riding a certain type of bicycle is infirmity.

Seriously. Not interested in debating these off topic things forever. Remember, you were the one who didn't want side bar distractions earlier. Do you have anything about wilderness access and how mtbs, as they are now developing and being used, will impact that?