Thread: Swapping rims.
View Single Post
Old 03-26-21, 08:57 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6235 Post(s)
Liked 4,242 Times in 2,378 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
Swapping rims.
I have a nicely built All-road bike with a decent set of wheels consisting Shimano Deore 650 hubs and nice SS spokes and MDA rims. I have a nice set of Mavic A319 rims that are 26mm outside width and the MDAs are 21mm. The Mavics have eyelets while the MDAs do not. I am running Schwalbe Big Apples and am wondering what will happen with those tires going to a wider rim.
Both sets of rims have the same ERD and swapping the rim will entail removing the nipples one at a time and swapping the spoke and nipple over to the new rim, truing, and then tensioning.

Is it worth it in this new time of quarantine here in Cambodia to do this.
I wouldn’t. At least not until something goes wrong with the original rims. ‘Tain’t broke. Don’t fix it. Swapping rims is fairly trivial but if it’s unnecessary, why do it? Ride your current wheels until they break (or try to break them) and go from there.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!