Thread: Painting
View Single Post
Old 04-11-21, 06:41 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
My bicycle painting days are over; this project was enough for me. But I know someone else will be able to use these leads to vendors of high quality paint. It's worth saying over and over: If you're planning to do a good job with a lot of careful prep, the hardware store brands aren't durable enough to make it worth all the time and hard work. (A quick and funky paint job, which is what many people need, might be another story.)
That's why I did the update..for anyone searching that lands here in the future. I did a ton of searching on BF on this topic and didn't find much with respect to higher-end rattle can painting. I did see a few references (House of Kolor), but no one that actually did the work. Using the custom color auto paint-rattle can pathway, a nice one color metallic paint job (sandable etching primer, color coat, 2K clear coat, probably 2 cans of each) can be done for about $125. Prep time is long..at least on my first experience. I stripped my frame/fork to bare metal..about 13 hrs of work so far. Obviously..I didn't use media blasting. I used chemical stripper, razor blades, steel wool, and sandpaper..I'll be looking for a shorter path on my next paint job (I have one more to do). Regardless of the pathway, prep time is plenty. It's worth it to me to invest in good paint. I hope it works..we'll see..