NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ick.
I can't help you with your problem, other than to echo surak in that you might be underestimating how thoroughly you need to clean (I just looked at the muc-off instructions online and they're not too detailed, but "de-grease" = a fair amount of work for a chain).
I do have to wonder, though - if you're going to go through the trouble of completely de-greasing your chain/drivetrain, why not just wax at that point? That's really 95% of the battle and there's exceptionally little maintenance afterwards. Or is this stuff supposed to be dry and clean on a similar level to waxing?
Ick indeed. I gave the chain a wipe down when I arrived home and that got most of the crud off. But the cassette still needs a good cleaning.
Regarding the wax comment, I think the hydrodynamic is supposed to be dry and clean, similar to wax. I wouldn't know though since both times I've done an application and gone for a ride I've ended up with the gunk

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Wet lube like this needs to be applied carefully and sparingly. It looks to me like you've used far too much and not wiped off the excess. I would take the chain off and clean it and the drivetrain with a degreaser. Remount the chain and put one small drop on each link, run the chain backwards several times to work the lube into the rollers and then carefully wipe off ALL visible lube off the chain, chainrings and cogs. This should take a few minutes and the chain should not appear to be "oily" when you're done. You'll likely have to wipe the chain down after the first couple of rides as additional lube comes to the surface. After that, the benefits of wet lube start to show: much longer lasting than dry lube, a quieter drivetrain, more rust protection for your chain and much more resistant to washing off in bad conditions. A few years ago, I switched to running wet lube on most of my bikes. It's a bit more initial work but works well if you don't just slop the stuff on.
This ^^ is good advice. Thank you. I did not do what you have suggested above. I likely did apply too much - although I thought I applied what was suggested in the video/by the manufacturer - but that does explain why the chain looks like it does. Also, I did not spin the chain backwards after applying the lube. I applied the lube one link at a time and then just let it sit there. I did not cycle it though several times and I likely did not wipe off enough lube. I did a quick spin of the chain through a rag and left it at that. I am going to go for a ride this afternoon, so I'll be sure to give the lube/chain a wipe down before heading out.

What wet lube did you switch to?

Originally Posted by surak
Define "thoroughly cleaned". You might be surprised by what a real thorough cleaning entails.
Took cogs off bike, soaked in degreaser, scrubbed clean, rinsed, hung dry, put cogs back on bike
Degreased chain with degreaser using chain cleaner, cleaned with soap and water, rinse with fresh water, dry
Scrubbed pulleys and front chain rings with degreaser, cleaned with soap and water, rinse with fresh water, dry
Rebuild. Apply lube. Above happens.
Likes For NoWhammies: