View Single Post
Old 05-06-21, 10:50 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,930 Times in 2,555 Posts
Re: weighting of pedals for easy pickup. I don't know the KEOs adnd have little difficulty with my Forte/Wellgo DELTA standard pedals and cleats. But I also ride fix gear with the Shimano 600 semi-platform pedals and toeclips. They have the small Campagnolo-like pick-up tabs on the back of the rattrap. With cycling shoes and the old aluminum slotted cleats, pick-up on a fast start-up in traffic is difficult. I add big steel tabs roughly the size of the tabs on the old Leotard platforms. That helps a lot, except - the weight of those tabs levels out the pedal making the flip up much harder to do and the result is that when I slide my foot forward, the pedal noses down and I hit the toeclip instead of sliding under.

My remedy has been to replace one of the toeclip bolts with a much longer one and secure two big, heavy washers (and a couple of smaller ones to get the hole size down). This means the pedals reliably hang front down and do a reliable flip up when I hit the tab making for pickups first or second try almost every time (without looking).

Modern pedals have far fewer fasteners, etc.making modification a lot harder and of course, no one wants to forego their warranty but it might just be that a few grams of properly located weight might make you life a lot better. As far as the weight/energy cost equation goes - for my fix gears? Those washers and the inch and a half of 1/2 x 1/8 steel flatbar are real weight but ... one blown pedal pick-up after a fix gear stop on a steep hill (for a flat, to help someone ...) will cost my legs more than an extra 5 pounds on the bike for a 100 mile day. Easily.