Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So if you don’t ever sit on the very front part of the long saddle then would it not be logical to chop it off and go with the shorter version?

For those riders who like to move around a lot on the saddle then a longer flatter saddle makes more sense. I tend to prefer a shorter, slightly wider saddle. I can still get forward on it but I don’t ride like that very often and prefer a more defined primary position. I also prefer a slight kick up at the back, which I find useful when climbing seated.
Well yeah.. if you don't ever sit on the very front, then chop it off. But I wasn't understanding how this in itself makes the shorter saddles any more or less comfortable than standard saddles. All brands now seems to offer these, and from what I gather, they seem pretty popular now -- I was just curious why. Many of these stubby saddles seemed to start appearing only about 3-4 years ago if memory serves.

I guess the longer saddle is good for 'just in case' instances that there is a rare instance where riding that far up makes sense.

If the short saddle thing came about to solve for UCI restrictions, I think it's safe to say that most of us here aren't worried about that too much.