Old 05-20-21, 05:07 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Glad you are still ok!

My experience in Seattle when I was hit by an Uber making an illegal turn across across the 2nd ave bikeway was this:
  • Driver tried to offer me an ointment for any aches and pains (no joke) and asked me not to do anything to him. He didn't seem like a terrible person, but I was pissed that he was trying to explain it away like the passenger made him take that turn and "it was his first day driving for Uber". I took pictures of my bike, the car, his insurance card, and a bystander gave me his number in case I needed a witness.
  • His (Uber's maybe? Haven't ever figured that out) insurance company called me the next day, told me to get an estimate for bike repairs and send them any doctor bills
  • Went to Zoom care and they looked me over.
  • I took it to 1 shop (Free Range in Fremont). They gave their honest assessment of the repair cost:
    • New front wheel. They couldn't fully trust the front wheel since it took the brunt of the impact.
    • Charge for realigning the fork dropouts, which they offered to hold off on charging me for until I got the insurance payout, which was nice
  • Insurance paid out everything I was asking for including the doc bills, no questions.
My thoughts on your situation:
-Go to a doc to get checked over. It's good you are listening to your body, but a second set of eyes could catch something your missing and could be an issue later on. Obviously add that on to the cost of the accident.
-Consider trying to get a new hub. That wheel took a major hit and the bearings could have been compromised.
-Make sure at least one of the shops you go to has experience in checking frame alignment. I wouldn't be surprised if your rear triangle is off a little bit now, in fact it looks a little crooked based on the angle of the hub, but could be the picture. If it is off, you should have a framebuilder give you an estimate for re-alignment on a frame table. If it's too far off, a frame replacement should be considered, but the framebuilder should be able to give you their recommendation.
Likes For tricky: