Old 05-31-21, 12:35 PM
uprightbent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 25 Posts
Experts strongly disagree

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Not good to ride with a strobe light, we are bike riders not a mobile discotheque it can be more a distraction and make it harder to see. Riding with a light during the day is fine but flashing and strobing is always best left on the dance floor or a haunted house or probably some CIA extrajudicial torture methods.
There's other groups far more concerned with collision avoidance than us, namely aircraft and shipping. They rely heavily on strobes and would disagree with disco reasoning. So do most fire and police vehicles, although the strobing parts might not be white. Buoy markers, masts, most aircraft, runway approach lighting, water towers, beacons, lighthouses, etc are examples. The number of times I've made brief eye contact with drivers during a yield, who clearly saw my daytime strobe, is priceless. I should I add mine sit very low with a Paul mount at the front dropout level, and pointed down a tad, so not to distract oncoming riders while still being effective. I find the night time effect is amazing at showing the contour of the oncoming road surface. Plus I never use it on paths, can't understand why riders do this. Those high mounted space lasers strapped to bars can't be lumped in with thoughtful lighting that avoids collision.