View Single Post
Old 05-31-21, 11:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Very good to ride with a strobe light. You can't be serious advising otherwise. Billions have been spent R&D'ing bicycle stobes and they have persisted in the marketplace for decades. Bad? Define bad in that context.
I am sure that flashing lights have existed since the early 2000's at least. Nevertheless, they are practically expected by the majority of drivers and, more importantly, law enforcement authority figures. I don't use mine in the daytime, because I'd rather save the batteries for when they are really needed.

All that said, I have little fear of riding without lights! 45 years in urban traffic and no serious collisions ... no collisions ever, to date. It ain't luck! You CAN prevent most collisions by riding defensively, and by not putting responsibility for your safety onto the shoulders of total strangers. I'm not telling you that, I figure you know that already. When I turn on the flasher it is so that if I wind up in an accident no one can say "see, if he had had flashers ...", but I would never suggest to someone (as has been done in this thread) that they should use flashers to prevent an accident. They do not, and cannot. Ride defensively.
Sigh ... I have NOT recommended flashing headlights in the dark. This thread is not about riding in the dark. The picture being discussed was taken in daylight. I have not even recommended lights at all in the daytime. I was responding to another poster who labelled flashing lights of any kind as bad.

Read the first two together, especially the part about why you don't use them in the day because you save them for "when they are really needed." Well, logically, if not day, when are they really needed? If you didn't intend to convey that you were using flashers at night, that's on you.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the flashing as either a rider or a driver.