View Single Post
Old 06-01-21, 09:10 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Clydesdalecliff
You're not unreasonable. The nature of Carbon means the bike may be catastrophically damaged you just cannot see it. When the failure finally shows itself who knows what injuries you'll sustain.
Woo.

When carbon break it breaks with a tear, a puncture or by being crushed. It does not develop small cracks which could fail later like a steel or alloy frame might, by nature of it being a composite material. That is why it is a superior, and oft preferred material for many bike frames.

"I spent a good afternoon surfing the internet trying to find examples of carbon frames or forks which had snapped suddenly while being ridden due to an unnoticed fault or previous unseen damage. While there were plenty of people talking about it, and swearing blind it’s a possibility, I didn’t come across anyone claiming that it had happened to them. Not even a ‘my cousin’s friend’ anecdote. There were plenty of examples of carbon bikes that have smashed, splintered and crushed on impact, but that isn’t the scenario I’m looking at. What I did find, was examples of where carbon and metal components which were bonded together had separated."

https://www.yellowjersey.co.uk/the-d...is%20different.