Old 06-19-21, 07:33 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Umm, no. You will be cross-chained more in a 1X setup than in a 2X set up. But it’s nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye on chain wear.
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
Umm, no.

A 1x system has the chain ring positioned on the nominal chain line so it more closely lines up with the center of the cassette - like the middle ring on a 3x system. This reduces the lateral angle of the chain when on the largest or smallest rear sprocket compared to the classic cross-chained state..
Been thinking more about this, and I think you are wrong -- and your statement above demonstrates why. If the chain ring on a 1x is "positioned on the nominal chain line so it more closely lines up with the center of the cassette," there will indeed, by definition, be cross-chaining (more extreme lateral angle) when at the more extreme ends of the cassette. And with only one chainring, a rider has no option to choose a different chainring to mitigate the cross-chaining.

Stating that a 1x system "reduces the lateral angle of the chain when on the largest or smallest rear sprocket compared to the classic cross-chained state" is a straw man argument, since that is NOT how a reasonably knowledgeable rider would use a 2x or 3x system; that rider would shift to a smaller chainring before getting to the big-big combo, and would shift to the bigger chainring before getting to the small-small combo.

Whether a 1x or 2x will involve more cross-chaining depends on the specific gearing (cassette and chainring(s)), the rider's terrain and cadence preferences, etc. But in my terrain (very hilly), a 1x would often have me on the extreme ends of the cassette, while a 2x allows me to get less lateral deflection of the chain.

Again, I am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with a 1x -- I would happily ride one.

Last edited by Koyote; 06-19-21 at 07:37 AM.
Likes For Koyote: