View Single Post
Old 08-17-21, 03:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,537 Times in 1,859 Posts
I use SPD off-raod and on my working/rain/touring bike. I can walk just fine in SPD-specific shoes, which cost more than Walmart sneakers but also work better for what I need, all around.

I did straps for years .... and flat pedals for longer (for urban commuting I want the option of dumping the bike immediately--too much can go wrong too quickly in a crazy city environment.)

I have maybe twice not been able to get a foot free from rat-traps/toestraps. It can happen. And I have a couple times not unclipped in time and fallen off using clipless .... but not in a Loooong time. Not too hard to master, and less likely to fail randomly than straps in my experience (the shoe can hang up in the straps in a rapid release, ... friction, catch a bit of tread on the sole or stitching on the side or whatever.)

Clipless is just better, IMO. And anyone paying $500 for shoes can pay $500 for shoes, and should stop whining. On almost no budget I can get into clipless shoes and pedals ... just shop around. Look for closeouts, buy off-brands.

As for hordes of old riders wanting whatever .... if there is a need, use that good old U.S.A. entrepreneurial spirit and start the business. get rich and come back here to laugh at us. I am cool with that.
Likes For Maelochs: