Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
What is gratuitous dictionary abuse, as-yet unnamed successor to Alex?

That is a completely lame argument. Words have multiple meanings and connotations are derived largely from context. One of the connotations of "crash" is the stock price dropped dramatically, or someone's drug abuse has finally caught up with them. Should we not use that word to describe incidents where cars strike bicyclists because people might be confused by its multiple meanings? And, just as an aside "unavoidable crash" is not an oxymoron, neither is "avoidable accident".

I am arguing with the hundreds of links that get this wrong and you--"accident" is a broad term, and does not necessarily imply anything about fault or inevitability. And don't argue with me about it, argue with the NTSB:

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/...ntReports.aspx

Pretty silly of them to investigate the causes of things that can't be avoided in order to learn how to avoid them, huh?

BTW, thunder "crashes". You want to explain how that is avoidable?

Go argue with the legal firms on those Google links!

Let me ask you this. Has there been a gravitation away from the use of the word accident, and toward crash with the NHSTA? Hint, "Uniform Crash Report." More hints "CISS" "CRSS."