Old 09-18-21, 07:01 AM
Pulse_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I'll try to go in further details about the installation and how to avoid pinching. The video shown above is one of the most explicit on youtube but if you still struggle maybe you could follow the tips which helped me:

Do NOT end the last bit of tire bead installation at the valve itself but just 10cm or so away from it.The reason being this is precisely the location where the risk of pinching is the highest because there is a more rigid piece around the bottom of the valve which makes it more difficult to place the beads of the tire between the rim and the tube. If you finish at this place you will struggle not to pinch the tube. So, just before installing the last bit of tire bead on the rim just remove a bit of air from the tube and push on the valve slightly. This will allow the base of the valve to detach from the rim on the inside and give some room for the tire to sit against the rim. Make sure by a visual check that the tire beads are around the valve and not on the tube (this is the single most important check to make). Then, put slightly more air in the tube (just a tad), and let the bottom of the valve sit correctly by doing so. Finish by installing the last bit of the tire bead under the hook of the rim. If needed remove a bit of air again or place the beads all around in the center of the rim where the diameter is the smallest. This will give you some margin to install the bead. While inflating the tube for this 1st time I would suggest to proceed progressively: inflate the tube just enough so that it takes it shape, push the tube gently in the tire, install the beads, deflate slightly if needed, check around the rim for pinching, re-inflate the tube a bit and do the same again until you can't see the rim tape by pushing on the tire anymore. In no case you should be able to see the tube. A last thing: you can use plastic tire levers as soon as you don't put them under the beads of the tire but just use them to push the bead from the outside. It helps on the last bit rather than using fingers.

I hope I'm clear, english isn't my 1st langage and I'm a beginner so take what I say with a grain of salt. But it worked for me. Concerning talc, I would not advice to use more than needed, it would be a mess when changing the tires in the rain and latex tubes come with talc as standard. This said you can put a small amount at the valve base, just to make sure this spot is well "lubricated' (talc acts basically as a dry lubricant).

Edit: a last thing -> I don't think you would want to install a lightweight latex tube if you have a flat on the road -> I'd advice to keep a normal butyl tube wherever you go...

Last edited by Pulse_; 09-18-21 at 07:15 AM.