View Single Post
Old 10-11-21, 09:21 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,381 Times in 3,669 Posts
@mdsalemi

De-anodizing is not a perfect science. It's a combination of various dips and sprays with caustics (such as Oil Eater, or ZEP Purple degreasers) followed by acid sprays (Meguiars Chrome Wheel cleaner, with phosphoric acid and ammonium biflouride). Some mechanical action with scrubby pads and brushes.

So far, got the chainring set, Cinelli stem, and one brake done. I have one last brake to do, and then the cages on the Weyless pedals. Those are proving to be quite troublesome; only about 80% of the anodizing is coming off. I may have to come up with a plan B. No I don't yet have a plan B.

De-Anodized components [/QUOTE]

I use industrial strength drain cleaner from HD, proceed with extreme caution, sometimes goes too fast, sometimes works just right.

Dip and soak for a few minutes then dip in plain water, scrub with plain sturdy rag and brass bristle brush if needed, repeat as necessary, again, proceed with caution.

Last edited by merziac; 10-11-21 at 09:25 PM.