Thread: Spoke tension
View Single Post
Old 12-13-21, 09:45 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmonte
As @ Zandoval; mentioned, you can start getting the tools, I got my stand for $75 from a Sport’s Authorty going out of business sale.
Keep an eye on Amazon warehouse deals as well. Managed to score the newer version of your stand for 150.00 with tax shipped to my door, cheaper than wholesale. Got a single arm pro repair stand the same way, was listed as used-good, the box was damaged pretty bad but not certain what damage would have been done to that much steel and chrome.

Originally Posted by urbanknight
As long as all the spokes are within a safe range of tension, it should be fine. That's hard to tell without a tension meter, though. Might want to ask the shop how they true wheels.
Gonna guess, based on years of experience, that they turned spokes till it looked straight. Probably have the basics of tighten/loosen in pairs and even tighten the loosest feeling ones first but I've never really seen techs break out a tensiometer unless it was something special or a special request.
Those of us that built wheels would have the practice to really feel for what we were doing and could do it faster but that wasn't common in my experience. You can also check spoke tension visually but it is a trick, does help when truing up wheels quickly though.