Old 03-02-22, 08:40 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
I agree, there’s a fair amount of cash tied up in the parts shown in that pic! I’d limit any “fluff & buff” on that Superbe crankset and rings to non-abrasive cleaner and perhaps some sort of wax protectant. Wouldn’t even consider buffing to a mirror finish despite the awesome look on the original crank arm.
RE: the free hub, even if the special removal tool was available, I’d first consider removing any old lube/grease and grimy grit out by flushing from outside to inside with copious amounts of solvent (kerosene, mineral spirits, etc.) then dribbling some high viscosity oil (I use Phil’s Tenacious Oil) into the free hub, again from outside to inside. Since there’s virtually no load on the free hub bearings, they don’t need special grease (IMO).
The parts were surprisingly inexpensive because I bargain hunted at auction . The Superbe crank was the only one I did not intend to get but could not resist because it was so pretty . Did a sanity check again on the rear hub and it feels smooth so I will skip the re-greasing on that one (also since I don't have the tool). I also decided against using the grease port because I remember reading that you should not mix different greases since they can react negatively to one another. I did repack the front hub which did not spin as smoothly as the rear. The grease inside was starting to get gunky. I used mineral spirits to de-grease and denatured alcohol to neutralize. Then I used Mobil xhp222 marine grease since it was what the hardware store had. I also did not notice any pitting or corroded spots so I think its good to go.

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
BTW if you're doing mountain rides, those nice anodized rims might not be the best option, especially in combination with old single pivot caliper brakes. Anodized rims are more slippery than rims with bare or (best yet) machined side walls. And single pivot brakes don't brake as hard as dual pivot brakes.
Yes I read that old single pivots were good if you wanted to die. I am curious to see how bad they are so I might just take 1 or 2 trips for the adrenaline rush. I got myself a pair of Zitto cheapo brakes for around 8 USD a pair. They are supposed to be a decent Ultegra/DA copy. Also got a pair of Ultegra BR6800s. Will be trying the Zittos to see how they do as well before switching to the Ultegras after the frame gets painted. I was thinking of learning how to wheelbuild by re-lacing the old Sprint hubs to a pair of either H Plus Son SL42s or TB14s. Local importer has them on sale for around 120 USD and 90 USD respectively for a pair. I am open to suggestions for something along those lines. I am curious to try some 40mm-ish wheels, probably nothing deeper since it can get pretty windy here.

I have begun stretching a pair of Continental gator skins and will be putting everything back together to go for some rides. Regarding the paint, I found a good auto shop that does showroom quality paint. I was thinking of having them do the base color and then adding the details myself. Since I have been unable to get the pantone spec of the original color, I was thinking I might as well just change it to something I like. I would like to get a visual mock up of some color schemes, have you guys used any software that you can recommend?