View Single Post
Old 03-07-22, 04:42 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Work to get the law changed through established channels. Hounding bureaucrats and imploring that we collectively launch a DOS attack on their website isn't the way to do this.

BTW, it is E. coli (E. is short for Eschericia). It is not a "vector." It is a bacterium that is common to all mammals. It is about 50% by mass the contents of your intestines, which is a lot, given that you are completely full of shyte.

Laws are there for a reason. If you disagree with the reason, there are mechanisms to have the laws changed. You don't get the option of simply disregarding them with impunity, just because you don't happen to like them.
Why would the public not be able to avail itself to the "Contact Us" portals these agencies provide? This is EXACTLY what they're there for. And this enforcement action may be the result of the very same process by hikers.

You need to work on your reading comprehension. I clearly imply that the CATTLE are the vectors for E. coli. You think you need to explain the basics of this bacterium to me? Nope, not necessary. Jesus, talk about obsessing on the irrelevant, getting it wrong, and then going on a rant! E. coli strains are a huge concern in our food supply. E. coli O157:H7 being one of those that causes serious illness and mortality. Thanks, but no thanks for the inane lecture(s).

Who said the watershed should be made "E. coli proof?" Not I. There's a HUGE difference between preserving a watershed and allowing cattle to graze. Have you seen what cattle do? I've been riding lately in a cattle grazing location and they literally spew feces all over the ground in large quantities and all over the trail. While it's good practice for avoiding trail mines and bunny hopping obstacles, it's pretty absurd how much of it is on the trail. So when I think of "watershed preservation," allowing cattle everywhere is probably the LAST thing that would come to mind. (But at the same time, I appreciate the history of cattle grazing in the west and that it's by no means uncomplicated and a political football with generations of ranchers behind it.)

Again, hilarious how a responder had to mention the presence of E. coli in the human gut. Thanks. Already knew that. But I have YET to encounter human feces on any of the trails splattered with cow pies. Dog crap, I've gotten on my tires MANY times, but not human. Most mountain bikers, if they have to defecate while on a ride, will do so in a discrete location and I'd guess at least half will follow proper "how to poop in the woods" protocol. Not many will "drop trou" right in the middle of the trail! But cows sure do! So in other words, allowing cyclists to ride in the watershed isn't going to introduce a human waste problem. It hasn't on the peninsula where cyclists have been riding within SF's Hetch Hetchy watershed/storage lands for decades..

And again, reading comprehension. I stated clearly in my OP that I do not support the building and use of illegal trails. It's all right there. And this is why I'm encouraging everyone interested in the matter to PURSUE CHANGE THROUGH ESTABLISHED CHANNELS! Contact the agencies in question and express your displeasure. THEN I recommend people support the efforts of BTCEB. See how that works? That's EXACTLY how you enact change with the democratic process.

Please, everyone just slow down and re-read my original post. And if you disagree with my premise, then fine. But lecturing me on E. coli is rather presumptuous and silly. Of peripheral concern, but is of no relevance to the fact that cattle are legally allowed to graze in a "protected watershed." And that's just one minor aspect of the issue. To state that bicycles are some existential threat to a watershed is specious. I'd kick out the cattle and welcome bicycles with open arms if I were making the decision.