Old 04-05-22, 08:08 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by tremolo1965
Hi Repechage, would you be able to share more about this type of construction? I’ve read a few bits on the web, but not much. Before assembling the bike, I looked it over very closely, and in fact there nails at every joint. On the outside of the frame, you can just make out where the
nails were filed down after brazing ((I assume), and again you really have to look, and know where they are, to find them. I can’t image them with my phone, especially due to the mica white paint.
some tack braze, some use tacks or nails.
the frame or sub assemblies are in either case fixed in position prior to brazing.
for most the scheme is to hold things in position and the frame or sub assembly is brazed free of obstruction.
as an example, if the bottom bracket was held in position with cones, when brazing the torchman cannot get flame in or a visual inside the shell.

way back I considered tacks or pins a production line technique, think Raleigh, but later considered it having an advantage as the flux is only activated once.

Richard Sachs has refined his approach to multiple "pins" actually tapered finish nails he tapers on a belt sander. The multiple pins undoubtedly restrain the parts even more so the components remain where they are wanted to be.