Old 05-05-22, 08:02 AM
nPn

Bikes: 2007 Kona Cinder Cone, 2012 Raleigh Revinio 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Inconsistent chain length calculations

I updated my recently acquired size 54 2010 Roubaix Comp's rear drive train to be a little more climbing friendly. The original rear drive train consisted of a rd-5600 derailleur with a 12-27 cassette, 27 teeth being listed as the max for that derailleur. I switched to a rd-5701-gs derailleur along with a 11-32 cassette which is spec'd to work with the 50-34 front chainring set. I was planning on using the chain length equation L = 2 × C + F/4 + R/4 + 1, which when I applied it to the original setup gave 105 for the number of links This matched the chain on the bike before I swapped the rear cassette from a 27T to 32T on the largest cog. Applying the equation to the new setup I get 107 links. Instead of just cutting 9 links off of my new KMC X10 that came with 116 links (including the "missing link") to get it down to 107, I tried to use the Park Tool Largest to Largest method. When I did this I ended up only cutting 6 links out so I end up with 110 links which is 3 links longer than the equation. I finished adjusting the H/L limits and the indexing and shifting is perfect both on the stand and on the road. So my question is should I leave it as is or trust the 107 number and remove 3 links? I did see other sizing advice that says a chain is too long if when on the derailleur and on the largest chain ring and cog, you can "fold" a link over. I can definitely fold a link when in this state, but probably not more than 1 link. Any other advice?