Old 05-05-22, 08:33 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3239 Post(s)
Liked 1,798 Times in 1,082 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The test that I linked to refers to side-to-side movement of bike rims in a built wheel under load as "lateral deflection." If the people attempting to describe differences in comfort among wheels mean something other than "vertical deflection," I hope that they'll clarify what they mean and provide data from a reputable source that quantify that which they are describing.
The fact is no one talked about, mentioned, or referred to “vertical compliance” until you *assumed* that was the issue. It seems the issue is some being unable to imagine the complexities of wheel dynamics and riding conditions as part and parcel of ride quality. Is there any reason to exempt lateral deflection from “ride quality?” Should torsional wind-up not be considered a factor in ride quality? Is there any reason to exclude spoke lacing, type, material, and size from understanding how those elements affect ride quality? Hub flange height and spacing have no impact on “ride quality,” is that what you’d assert? How about bearing count, placement, and type?

As I said before, it defies reason to assume that material properties and mechanical properties don’t have any impact on ride quality. It may be that one rider doesn’t demand from the wheels the same as another rider, for example, a 140lbs touring cyclist on glassy smooth pavement over flat terrain who corners slowly and conservatively will not experience wheel dynamics (i.e. ride quality) in the same way a 240lbs racer on the curving, rough roads of the Appalachian foothills will experience wheel dynamics, but that does not mean all wheels behave the same.

To further illuminate the point: GOKISO