View Single Post
Old 05-16-22, 09:29 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22711 Post(s)
Liked 9,070 Times in 4,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
The Miata caters to the person who wants a convertible sports car that is reminiscent of the British and Italian sports cars of the '60s and '70s - wind in your hair, sporty handling, fun to drive. They are not particularly fast, and do not really appeal to the person looking for a fast performance car (e.g. Porsche Boxster or more types). But, they are quick, fast enough, and very engaging to drive. In fact, in my mind, a well-handling car that has modest horsepower can be much more fun to drive than a very powerful car because you don't have to worry so much about it getting out of hand or getting in trouble with the law.

I'd get her the Miata in a heart beat if she really wants it. It comes with a stick or automatic, but I'd recommend the stick if she can drive it or learn to drive it. It's not a "practical" car in terms of carrying capacity, but no two-seat car is. There is room for groceries in the trunk and you can always put more on the passenger floor and seat (I have personal experience with that). Being a cautious driver will not prevent her from having fun with it.

They are also reasonable to maintain and reliable.

I'd imagine it would put a big smile on her face, and that's what you are really after, isn't it?

I wouldn't wait for the Saturn to die either. It's served its duty.
Understood. Will consider. She is NOT mechanically adept and never got the hang of a stick-shift, so cue up R.E.M. "Automatic for the People."

Will investigate. The new and used care market is not exactly a buyer's market these days.