rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13785 Post(s)
Liked 4,626 Times in 2,542 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Last night was the first ride on the Canyon with the new, thread-together BB. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but the bike creaked just the same.

On the plus side, it's a better BB, and I was going to do something like that anyway. But I should have been a bit less sure I knew what the problem was. Since it was EXACTLY the same creaking noise, I spent more time diagnosing it. It doesn't happen when I'm out of the saddle - AT ALL. It doesn't happen as much when I'm on the saddle working hard, like a seated climb. It happens when I'm pedaling along on the flats, and I can make it better by concentrating on pedaling circles. I thought it might be the bars, but then I tried torquing them up and down, and nothing. My best guess is the seatpost, or rather the seatpost/seat tube interface. So I pulled the post last night, slathered it with the last of the carbon assembly paste from the assembly kit that came with the bike, and carefully torqued it down to the indicated 5 Nm. We'll see. Over the winter, when the bike was on the trainer most of the time, I had lowered the seatpost about 3-4 mm, chasing the elusive Perfect Position, and it's possible I didn't torque the clamp screw enough.

We'll see, and hear, tonight. If that doesn't fix it, I'm not sure what I'll do next.
Replaced a Praxis pressfit BB on a carbon gravel bike yesterday.

Knocked out old BB
Cleaned BB shell well, finish with acetone
Park AP-1 primer on the BB shell and BB
Park RC-1 retaining compound on the BB
Press in BB

RC-1 Press Fit Retaining Compound | Park Tool