Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 691 Posts
[QUOTE=rekmeyata;22546540]
Originally Posted by Cnguyen323
I
I understand the safety and importance that comes with significant stopping power. Should I prioritize upgrading the brakes before the wheelset? I’m considering something from the juin tech lineup for brakes.

Does anyone know the performance difference between hybrid flat mount hydraulic brakes and a fully hydraulic brake setup like something from sram/shimano?

.[/QUOTE

First of all get the marketing forces that have brainwashed you out of head!

There is not any significant difference in stopping power from the old rim brakes to disk brakes, unless you're riding in the rain or through mud. That's because what causes anything with wheels to stop is the tires adhesion to the road. I'm not talking about Walmart bikes, but bikes over $500.

A friend of mine who had a newish Trek with hydro brakes was arguing with me about how superior his brakes were over mine, and he owned a bike with rim brakes, yet he insisted there was a difference. So I challenged him to braking duel. His bike had Conti 4000's 25c tires, and mine had Vittoria Rubino 25c on the rear and 23c on the front; we both had aluminum rims; we weighed ourselves while holding the bike we would be riding and found out we were 5 pounds within each other; we used a tire pressure calculator to determine how much pressure to use; a rule that I made after seeing a video about the stopping difference made the disk win by about 3 to 4 feet, but the winner would slide his butt off the seat over the rear wheel, the rim brake guy stayed in his seat; both were using CF wheels which the felt braking pads used on the rim brake bike have always been poor at stopping, so I made a rule that we stayed glued to our seat. So, the test consisted of 3 runs at 15, then 3 at 20, then 3 at 25; we would alternate between us the task of saying stop so one of us wouldn't jump the gun.

What happened you scream? We both stopped within a foot of each other, sometimes I stopped a tad sooner and sometimes he did...until we got to the last test at 25. The first run I stopped about a foot sooner, the second time I stopped about 2 feet sooner, and last attempt I stopped 3 feet sooner. Why was that? my friend touched his front rotor and got a nicely singed finger, then he touched my front rim, while my rim was hot he did not singe his finger. He couldn't believe what the tests showed, he figured out though that the reason he thought he had more power in the brakes was due to the way hydro brakes feel when you apply the brake levers. This was all about the tires adhesion to the road, and then brake fade, type of pads being used like felt pads on CF wheels, and weight, had that been a difference played into the tests.

That answers your question about the two different kinds of brakes you were looking at as well, and the brand of brakes don't matter either.
People don't agree with me? Oh that makes sense they are all brainwashed out of their head! I hope your friend learned a few things from this test, first being don't touch your brake rotors after a braking test, but that may explain the susceptibility to the brainwashing.