Old 07-03-22, 09:00 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I've got eight Italian bikes. The way I'd rank them (my bikes, not necessarily the brands) right now is this:

Bianchi
Colnago
Maschiagi
Masi
De Rosa
Gios
Pinarello
Viner

A lot of that has to do with the components on the bikes. The De Rosa, Masi, and Gios all have period-correct vintage builds with side pull brakes, which I don't really enjoy. (I know, I may be in the wrong forum.) My preferred build is 3x10 Campy, and the Bianchi is the only bike on this list built that way. The Pinarello has tried to kill me with speed wobble a couple of times, but it's still fun to ride. The Viner has a stuck seatpost and I haven't ridden it much. If I built them all with the same components, which would be my favorite? Probably the one that looked nicest. That may be why the Bianchi is on top even now. I'm not sure there's enough difference between the frames to separate them. I like them all.
check the Pinarello frame / fork alignment AND double check the wheel dish.

I have a bunch of Italian bikes.

the Pinarello Montello and the Early 80's Gios both subscribe to a shorter top tube, steeper head angle FCI design recommendations.
to set them up correctly a longer stem is needed, placing more weight on the front wheel. Entertaining but not an all day mount.

the Colnagos also are rewarding to ride, well suited now as rarely get out for longer than three hours. I have bikes from '68 - '73
the early bike is a bit longer.

Masi, the sentimental favorite. The Volumetrica is stiffer, a twin plate crown fork GC takes the bumps better.

a Surprise is a 1953 Preziosi. Front end almost like a bike from the 70's, long chainstays and low bottom bracket. A winner.

an Ideor Asso is a forerunner of 1960's Italian bikes, it is from 1958. Long and comfortable, a bit slow in the steering.

that is not really a ranking, use and mood dependent.
Likes For repechage: