Old 07-15-22, 10:01 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The terminology used by chain manufacturers lists 114 links for a 57 inch road bike chain, so a link is only 1/2 inch, but chain length can only be changed in 2-link or 1 inch increments. There is no half link. Chain length calculators work for road bikes, but suspended MTBs may require other procedures to account for suspension movement.

The calculation is not complicated. Add the total of the big/big chain ring and sprocket and divide by 4. Add twice the chain stay length. Add 1 inch extra to go through the RD. Round up unless the total is barely over an even inch value. That's the shortest possible chain. I can use that length, but I add another inch, as long as the chain doesn't hang loose or rub on itself in the little ring and smallest useable sprocket. With sram axs the RD won't shift into the little ring and 10T, only the 11T. I use a 55 inch chain for 415mm stays and 48/36 big/big.
Putting the chain on the bike and sizing it less complicated. Every time. And you don't want the shortest possible chain, you want the longest/safest/most smooth running.
Likes For cxwrench: