Old 07-18-22, 03:18 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Thursday afternoon I rode to King Street Station in Seattle and took the Empire Builder to Whitefish.

King Street Station by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Was surprised to see Cinoriders Andy and Owen there as well.

They were the smart ones, booking a1st class sleeper car for the overnight trip while I was riding in Coach.

The reclining seat would have been satisfactory if I were maybe 6 inches shorter. I didn’t sleep at all overnight.

Onward to Whitefish by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

We got into Whitefish around 7:30am and in my sleepless stupor I left my helmet on the train. We go to a cafe nearby for a bite to eat and wait for Glacier Cyclery to open.

In front of the store are 2 Great Divide riders with an obvious wheel problem. The store opens and the mechanics say they cannot work on it right away. While I’m buying a new helmet, Andy goes to work fixing their bike.

Andy saves the day at Glacier Cyclery by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Off we go on a great route MountainDave (thanks again, Dave) had suggested to get to Kalispell.

The Flathead Valley is lush and green and we are on quiet roads. It feels great after sitting on a train all night. Owen and Andy split off to go their accommodation for the night and I head out to the School where I will be staying overnight.

Andy and Owen by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Up early Saturday morning, I ride out to the start at Kila. There’s about 60 riders this year. Fun seeing old friends and some new faces as well as the motley mix of vintage road bikes and early MTBs.

The ride out of Kila is paved and a great place to warm up and take pictures with the valley as a backdrop.

Andrew and Davester

Andrew and Dave by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Thor and Obrentharris - I swear these two look like they could be brothers…

Thor and Brent by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The Morrison gang

Roger and Thomas by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

At the Bacon Lady stop, Dave offers up Bourbon for Breakfast in true Cino fashion..

The Bacon Lady stop by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Mjamt is ready for some Bacon..

Gugie is actually smiling - usually I seem to capture him when he looks like he’s swallowed a bug or something. Must be the Bacon..