making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by giffenf
I appreciate your offer, but I can deal with this myself. Yes, I've had two flats in a week (it was actually last Tuesday, not Monday), but I've also ridden that same route for a year on the same tires and not had any issues. So it was just bad luck. I could put, and have considered putting, Rhinodillo liners inside between the tire casing and the tube, and honestly, I thought that's what I'd been riding on with this bike, but when I pulled the tube out last week, I realized I did install Rhinodillos, but not in this bike, and the one I did put them in has found a new home. So yes, I could do that, and I haven't totally ruled it out, but I'm only going to be commuting to work for a few more weeks, and then I'm going to be spending more time on my other bike(s) and less on this one, so I'm reluctant to spend the money. I've also got a new set of Gatorskin Hardshell tires I could put on this bike, but again, for just a few more weeks, it seems a tad excessive. The regular Gatorskins can probably last that long, they're far from worn out. And tubeless? Yes, another fine idea, but buying a new wheelset, tires, sealant, valve stems, rim strips, and all the other fun stuff that goes along with going tubeless would cost much more than this bike is worth. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I do appreciate your generosity with your time. And if you have suggestions that don't fall into the solutions listed above, I'll be happy to hear them. Thanks.
You sound good, just wanted to make sure you were not going through what I did when I first started commuting. I literally had dozens of f**** a month. On the up side I could change a f*** in just a few minutes. I still have a hard time saying the f word.