View Single Post
Old 08-17-22, 12:48 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've had a tire come off at 20 mph. Hooked rim, old tire and a blowout. A crash I never want to do again. I haven't been able to enjoy fast descents the past 10 years because I cannot remove that from memory. (Broken ribs, collarbone, dented helmet and an acre of road rash.)

Hookless rims? For me, no thanks! In fact, I'm swapping to the tires and system we raced in the dark ages because I know from experience that a high speed blowout does nothing more than cause on instantaneous rise in heart rate! Sewups aka tubulars. Glued on well, you just brake to a stop from any speed. Change the tire and go on. So uneventful I cannot remember where I did this or which wheel it was (or one time or two). I know I've blown sewups at 45+. Underfunded bike racer. Food and tires were my biggest expenses.

All my bikes except the winter/rain/city bikes are going tubular. I'll keep one set of clincher wheels for high flat risk rides. ($$s) It's a tough trade-off. I now have to put up with the magic carpets; the sublime ride I haven't see since I rode quality tubulars an eon ago.
If a tubular can be pulled off the rim by hand to change on the side of the road, what's stopping that tire from rolling off in a high speed turn on a descent?