canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Was descending a curvey 12% grade with well established chip seal. At the time I wondered whether the tires were getting a better bite versus on smooth pavement?
After the chipseal is broken in a bit and the fresh oily surface is washed off, yeah, it seems a bit grippier in wet weather. Chipseal and striated concrete seem less prone to water puddling that causes hydroplaning in motor vehicles, and also seems to help skinny bicycle tire traction a bit in the wet.

None of my road bikes -- from the 1980s Ironman to my 2010 era Diamondback Podium -- were intended for 700x28 tires. Some skinnier-than-spec 700x28 *might* fit, but I can see rub spots inside the chainstays of my 1993 Trek 5900 OCLV where someone attempted -- unsuccessfully -- to run wider tires.

I'll probably sell all of my old school road bikes and get one gravel or all purpose drop bar bike with clearance at least for 700x28, preferably wider. No point punishing myself on 700x23 tires anymore. Roads aren't gonna get any better.

For now my method for coping with skinny tires is decently supple but tough tires and latex tubes. I've had good luck with Continental GP Classics (700x25 only), and Soma Supple Vitesse SL. Those lightweight Somas are remarkably tough and long lasting, and reasonably comfy in 700x23 with latex tubes.

Only downside is the Vittoria and Silca-branded Vittoria latex tubes I've been using the past couple of years are good for about a year and a few thousand miles before they develop minor leaks around the base of the valve. I need to improve my installation procedure and use stiffer tubeless-type tape to protect the base of the valve area where latex tubes have overlapping glued seams.