Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
It must be very comforting for you to be able to know the motives of a complete stranger through a message board posting. You’re clearly very talented.

The word “troll” is thrown around on this forum with wild abandon, often by folks who don’t seem to have any understanding of the meaning of the word. This is unlike any other forum I am a part of, including ones with way more testosterone. In no other forum is a newbie’s stupid question post automatically labeled as a troll more often than here. I’ve never seen the “ignore list” threat used more often than here. The insecurity displayed by many is truly astounding, and plays right into the general public’s perception of cyclists (see “Pearls before Swine”).
For what it's worth, I am good at detecting which posters will be one post wonders. I can often tell as I peruse the list of thread titles. Drop in, ask an inane question and never come back. Never join in on the discussion they start, never thank people for their responses, nothing but silence. I see it here FAR more often than I do on any of the many forums I frequent. I don't know if they are trolls or not, but it is odd.
Likes For Paul Barnard: