Old 12-19-22, 08:03 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I'm in my mid 50s at the moment and for cycling I've found much the same. Despite being well past my physical prime, I do enough cycling and focused training to actually outperform my younger, less committed self. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable decline over the next couple of decades - if I go the distance.
From my experience the focused training is the real key. As you know the training can be challenging and taxing but very rewarding once you get there. Sustaining the higher level seems like the real key. It’s so, so easy to let the conditioning slip and once it does, it’s harder to get it back. I had a forced layoff a few years ago when I crashed and broke a hip resulting in an immediate hip replacement. I was in peak shape and could still hang with the faster riders, at least for a while. I lost both cardio and some leg/hip strength. As you know it can be really hard to get in peak shape, a good bit of suffering involved. I just didn’t feel the motivation to get all that back. Just more suffering than I wanted to do. It’s also harder to get the conditioning back the older I get. I was able to get back riding distances but definitely at a little slower pace.

A second layoff occurred this year due to the distractions from selling and moving. Miles are probably the lowest it’s been in 20 years. More conditioning was lost. But shouldn’t have any excuses left, unless it’s due to spending so much time playing golf and relaxing on the beach!!!

Anyway, lessons learned, avoid letting your conditioning slip and it’s harder to get in peak shape as you age……