Old 12-19-22, 09:00 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4579 Post(s)
Liked 5,120 Times in 3,162 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
From my experience the focused training is the real key. As you know the training can be challenging and taxing but very rewarding once you get there. Sustaining the higher level seems like the real key. It’s so, so easy to let the conditioning slip and once it does, it’s harder to get it back. I had a forced layoff a few years ago when I crashed and broke a hip resulting in an immediate hip replacement. I was in peak shape and could still hang with the faster riders, at least for a while. I lost both cardio and some leg/hip strength. As you know it can be really hard to get in peak shape, a good bit of suffering involved. I just didn’t feel the motivation to get all that back. Just more suffering than I wanted to do. It’s also harder to get the conditioning back the older I get. I was able to get back riding distances but definitely at a little slower pace.

A second layoff occurred this year due to the distractions from selling and moving. Miles are probably the lowest it’s been in 20 years. More conditioning was lost. But shouldn’t have any excuses left, unless it’s due to spending so much time playing golf and relaxing on the beach!!!

Anyway, lessons learned, avoid letting your conditioning slip and it’s harder to get in peak shape as you age……
I think that's good advice. I try to train at a "sustainable" level and follow an annual plan based around my target events. So I'm not trying to hold an unrealistic peak indefinitely. Nor do I ever let my performance drop right off a cliff. Right now in my off-season I'm probably at about 80% of my peak potential. I'm actually recovering from a week of flu, so probably at my lowest point all year, but I don't feel like I have a mountain to climb. I can see how a major injury or life change would potentially break this routine. It's one of the reasons why I train mainly indoors over the worst of the winter weather i.e. reduce the risk of injury.