View Single Post
Old 02-02-23, 10:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Huh? When did I mention a fork crown or brake bolt holes therein?

OP mentioned "the lock [OP] had to drill holes for", and my comment about "extra holes" obviously refer to the holes OP drilled for the lock, or at most holes which were not intended by the manufacturer. Hopefully I can venture that most, if not all, brake bolt holes in fork crowns were intended or at least accounted for by the manufacturer. But the OP's bike is doomed if he keeps drilling holes while asking for confirmation on BF.
I should have added a smile emoji as my comment about crown holes was a bit tongue in cheek. But I was following the OP's reference to the straight fork blades.

But to the holes for a lock- many thousands of bikes (likely most in Europe) have had a rear wheel "horseshoe" lock that bolts to the seat stays. That we don't hear of those frames failing due to these and the numbers that have had these locks for how many decades I will venture that these lock mounting holes are OK. I am not a fan of these locks for high security use, one can just carry the bike away and work on the lock later. Andy