View Single Post
Old 02-04-23, 07:20 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4605 Post(s)
Liked 5,144 Times in 3,178 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
The featured athlete was training at very particular intensities. IME if one wants to do effective "low intensity" (ha-ha) training, it should be just below VT1. That's usually around 75% FTP or 80% HRmax I think one gets the most aerobic power increase right there. And remember, this is all HR data. As one becomes more aerobically fit, one's ;power at VT1 goes up and HR drift goes down, so more sustainable power. I think the term "low-intensity" is misleading. Yes, intensity on some numeric scale is lower, but the perceived intensity isn't all that low. On a long ride, say 9+ saddle hours, going as hard as I can, my average in-saddle HR will be below my VT1. I think that's quite normal. That would obviously not be the case in a crit, but the Couzens example is from an Ironman. That changes everything.
I agree that is not an easy pace to maintain. In the Couzens case study, I presume that is the "Aerobic" category on the chart, where his volume was just over 6 hours per week. I would imagine the "Easy" 9 hours per week were at a lower level e.g. 60-65% FTP. Otherwise it's not really "easy".
Likes For PeteHski: