View Single Post
Old 02-06-23, 10:21 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
I know this is C&V but I'd shoot for something a bit more modern. A Burley, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Kuwahara, maybe one of the less-expensive Santana models, can often be found pretty cheap. Sometimes after the owners gave up on selling it for their original inflated opinion of what it's worth. Tandems are hard to sell, and often go for less than the value of the parts.

My main complaint about this one is the shallow seat tube angle, which combines with the short rear TT to put the handlebars very close to the pedals. Not a dimension we're used to thinking about, but in the extreme like this, it become a problem because the stoker cannot stand, ever, because her knees will be hitting the handlebar. Or if they clear a little, you still can't stand when the handlebars are that close to your knees. You can't get your center of gravity over the pedals. Maybe that'd be acceptable to someone who never ever pedals standing, but the back seat of a tandem is less comfortable than a single, so standing now and then to get some blood flowing "down there" becomes more important. The shallow STA means more of your weight is on the saddle; even hard pedaling doesn't reduce the weight on the saddle much. Hard to unweight for bumps too.

Secondary complaints include the woefully undersized tubing, both heavy and flexible. Even single bikes don't use 1" TT much these days, so why should a tandem ever be 1" there? 1" steerer too, or actually probably 25 mm (French), ick. Hey, I like my French bikes, but a French tandem should have an "OS" 28 mm steerer — and lots of them do, such as Lejeune, Follis, Motobecane and Peugeot (some models/years, not all of course). Forks with the 28 mm steerer almost always have oversized tandem blades too.

Tandems take up a lot of room, so you won't want to store it if it doesn't get used. Maybe worth a try — hey, who knows, you might like it. But then if you don't, you'll have a tough time re-homing it. Oh I guess you could saw the frame up into small enough pieces to go in your garbage can, and have a set of decent parts. The TA cranks and Mafac brakes alone might make it worth your while. Are those Phil hubs by any chance? Nice upgrade if so. Hopefully not 27", ick.

Sorry to be so negative, but I've been through this a lot of times. The number of happy stokers on these curved seattube bikes that I've known is, um, I might still be waiting to meet the first one.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie: