Old 02-10-23, 04:36 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Here are some ideas for you and questions for you to think about but not required to answer.

My coach is a perceived effort fan and always reminds me that it is NOT about the performance during training. It is doing the complete workout at a perceived effort that allows one to compete the workout. Looking at HR and Power daily and trying to set PRs and better FTP and etc is a fools errand.

I am a power junkie but I have learned not to chase power numbers during training. When my coach prescribes a max effort I know what that feels like in my legs. If it is an endurance ride, I know that that feels like. The same is true for a time trial or VO2 work.

This week I have to get in 3 to 4 interval session and 2 endurance rides with a 15 to 30 minute threshold effort. Part of the work in doing this type of prescription is laying out the course, which bike to ride and then when will I do it. I am only going for 2 interval sessions not 3 to 4.

Interval sessions are like taking a drug. How big is the dose and what is the frequency. I took the correct dose on Tuesday and Thursday. If I do another one tomorrow, I may not do very well over the weekend on the threshold effort. And next week, I will be at the track with him which will be even harder. So I know how I feel and how I respond to stimulus and recovery.

Training is an art form.

Great post - thanks. Like I said, I am just learning and there is a bunch to absorb, especially without a coach or being able to fuel properly (limited carbs).

And I can get OCD/single focus about things. As a pure recreational old guy, I probably need to scale back the OCD a bit & just do my workouts, ride for fun...

Max power for an hour - I'm not crazy enough to actually try that. That 255w is based off 20 min power/Garmin calculations of my interval efforts. I use 245w conservatively to set my zones. I've done an hour at 227w with 142HR, so I figure 245 isn't out of reach if I wanted...

Learning as I go - did 2x15 threshold intervals at @245w this week - spot on effort with no ill effects. Completed the workout and felt great. Attempted 4x4 VO2 intervals at 310w+ and failed after the second interval - power and HR zone was too high for the session. I've reduced overall volume for this training block vs the last one and I feel much better after week two - I may attempt week three if my legs feel it.
Likes For Jughed: