View Single Post
Old 04-08-23, 04:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4553 Post(s)
Liked 6,512 Times in 3,737 Posts

A Hetchin's is one of the very few that could have challenged my Strawberry, it like most others were ruled out by not being able to do in person along with a new Merz since Jim doesn't build anymore, DiNucci and maybe a Battaglin or Colnago.

In person was not negotiable, many other local builders would have been just as good, Bantam, Breadwinner, Ahearne, Vanilla, Igleheart and I tried to get to a MAP but no go after the fire.

The Strawberry $$$$$$ made most any of these possible.

I struggled with the group on it as I couldn't really justify all old school if it was to get ridden as it was going to.

Opted in the end to cobble a bit, oldschool everywhere I could and modern where I needed, already had NIB 11 speed Campy Athena so I added a new Super Record crank and got to it for a very "eclectic" if not mix that could be the goal here by bucking conventional thinking with the Ofmega.

I know this is not the goal here and I of all people understand the "vision" part of all this but I would encourage you to strongly consider full SR for this if not going modern which I know is probably nonnegotiable for you.

SR is the only thing that this deserves IMO, like it or not and could likely be less $$$ and easier to source in G/VG-NIB/NOS condition.

The Ofmega stuff is cool but I have seen very few with still good branding and it is suspect being printed on and not robust as well.

It can be very hard to source a whole complete group in the proper condition for this.

This will be a top notch grail so it should have the widely perceived same hanging on it if oldschool rules the day as it should.