View Single Post
Old 04-14-23, 09:56 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
I agree, but it does seem like the stock of old bikes in good shape continues to shrink having been bought up and held by said demographic, as well as run into the ground (thank god we're well past the fixie times) by some of the younger crowd. Though the xbiking/altbiking subculture lightly and slightly flirts with permanent change to frames. Luckily they mess around with old 80s/90s mountain bikes usually. Perhaps in the next 10-25 years we'll see a large disbursement of high-end frames and bikes onto the 2nd hand market from those who grew up with bikes from the 50s-80s. And at that point, who will purchase them? I'm 29 and a severe outlier from most of the people my age who are into bikes...I wouldn't mind picking up a high end 70s race bike to be set up to be a sports tourer on the cheap

Another funny thing is parts availability. Electric shifting and disc brakes will continue to be pushed onto the market. Shimano Cues is a sign of the times, mechanical shifting is really starting to go the way of the dodo. At least, high quality parts. Luckily, friction shifting will always remain, but it's pretty annoying that shimano decided to change the cable pull with Cues and really stick it to the customer. As for what's next, who knows, the nigh-unkillable square taper bottom bracket might be on the chopping block within the decade.
The prices have been flat for a long time not including inflation and there seems to be no end to supply of what is considered as collectibles on eBay and local used marketplaces. Many aficionados of C&V have numerous if not dozens of bikes and have hit their acquisition limit because of personal restrictions not inaccessibility. A interesting point with bicycle collectables is there no real market for significant items with a history such as race winning bikes. For example Tom Boonen’s Paris Roubaix winning bikes or others. You would think they would show up at auctions demanding premium prices like other sport memorabilia but generally that is not the case.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 04-14-23 at 11:41 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged: