Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 449 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
I'm in total, complete agreement.
I just replaced my ancient Tarmac with a slightly newer, used bike, but instead of the low end of the Tarmac line-up I went all the way to the 11R, S-Works bike. Added some Reynolds Assault wheels, carbon Fiber pedals and I'm ready to ride. The cost was less than on third what a new bike at the same level, with new wheels would have cost. However, I work on my own bikes so the repairs associated with a used bike don't bother me. Can I afford to buy a high end road bike with disc brakes and aero, CF wheels? Sure, but spending some outrageous sum of money for a road bike that I can't pedal any faster than the current used bike I have makes no sense. Still I see some serious bucks lining up for roll-off every Sunday with one noticeable missing ingredient, youth. I don't see anyone in their 20s lining up to ride. If I was a bike company executive, I'd have to ask how they plan to maintain people buying new bikes.
Same here but with slightly different reasons.

I like disc brakes, and as a 190-195# rider, no racing, limited mountain use - a more price friendly aluminum frame, 105 equipped bike, good tires and a wheel upgrade suits me just fine. To "upgrade" we start talking $1000's to save the first pound or so, then $2000's to save the next pound. Then $3000+ to save grams...

On my typical 20-40 mile 18-20 mph ride, or even the occasional century - what real world difference would a more expensive, lighter bike really make? Get me to the next redlight 10 seconds faster? 1 min faster to the next rest stop? In a paceline, would the bike make any real difference at all?

There has to be a breaking point in price where people will no longer pay for the bike they "want" vs need - or where the performance upgrades are just flat not worth the money for the everyday rider.

Prices have passed my personal breaking point - and I can afford the bike I "want", I just won't pay the prices. Prices I think are insane.
Likes For Jughed: