Old 04-19-23, 04:24 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I bought a set of Shimano SORA levers to be used with center-pull brakes (so, short-pull). They were $16. When I received them, I noticed that they (like the levers in grizzly59's post ^^) were adjustable for either short or long pull.

Looking at my new levers, I find that this "Rule of Thumb" is spot-on.

A Shimano SORA brake lever.

A close-up of the SORA brake lever. The pivot is the black circle at the top. The cable attaches to the silver fitting, which can be moved farther from the pivot to the hole near the bottom of this image.
Thank you for this! I've been fixing to order a set of BL-R780 levers for a bike with 110mm V-brake arms (so, long pull) and a set of BL-R550 for another bike with 85mm "mini" V-brake arms (which I just remembered I already have lying around in a drawer somewhere,) but I just found out I can order two sets of these Sora levers for less than the going rate of one set of Ultegra-level 780s and just set their pull according to which V-brakes I'm going to be using them with. Awesome!