View Single Post
Old 04-20-23, 12:46 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
C&V bikes are fairly reasonably priced in almost all cases with no examples of a C&V bike even getting close to the price of a modern equivalent. There is no indication of any substantial price increases in the C&V market and this is before the current enthusiasts age out and start dumping bikes into a market with very limited demand. Collecting 60’s to 80’s bikes is just not a thing for younger followers of the sport. This is very evident with the high prices people are getting for older BMX gear which the current generation of collectors can relate to.

This would make cycling an outlier amongst collectibles; cars, art, watches, sports memorabilia etc. all have a public sales component so that the greatest value is achieved by the seller. Your idea that there is a secret cabal of buyers paying top dollar for premium cycling collectables without any public knowledge really makes no sense. More likely these collectable bikes are ending up in basements, garages and sheds being sold for minor or no premium.

My Confente comment was relevant as it was the only case of a C&V bike being auctioned by a reputable larger auction house amongst other collectables I had ever encountered.

But this is good news to those people who enjoy acquiring and collecting memorable bicycles and makes it a reasonably affordable hobby. If someone wants another Paramount or Cinelli it is within reason and wether the price goes up or down a bit over the time of ownership it really is not a big deal in the big scheme of things. Not so much for the restoration where you rarely get your money back out again. Even worse for those like myself who rarely hang onto bikes and sell them and take the depreciation as I change them out.
https://road.cc/content/news/indurai...auction-300713

Looks like I am wrong on this one. Start scouring the cycling community there might be an opportunity out there. Maybe that back room deal cabal knew something the rest of us didn’t.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 04-20-23 at 02:02 PM.