Old 05-07-23, 03:47 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked 5,780 Times in 2,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Xavier65
Here's a peculiar anecdote from a month ago. I was cycling at around 30kph down a hill, indicating left, moving over to the left toward the centre of the road in preparation for an imminent left turn, braking gently, and just coming down to the 5kph point and

Some fricking lycra clad roadie overtakes me, swerving in order to do so, and apologises profusely in the fraction of a second that he whizzes by.

Now, yes, I had looked behind me prior to indicating, and had seen this cyclist some ways behind me. Hence my signal, and he had plenty of time to brake and/or adjust course.

His options were:

a) Brake, to await my left turn before passing.
b) Reduce speed, and impatiently pass on my right.
c) Don't touch the brakes, but really pump those pedals to overtake me on my left just before I reach the left turning.

So, presumably engaged in some sort of time-trial, he picks option 'c'.

The on-topic bit of this anecdote arises about 20 minutes later, when by some amazing coincidence his time-trials circuit brings him cycling towards me, as my leisurely route overlaps with his.

Now, I had a choice of wagging my finger at him, in reprimand for his earlier reckless manoeuvre in which a collision was a severe possibility, or I could just acknowledge him as a fellow cyclist, as I normally would even tho I know solo lycra roadies rarely reciprocate.

I opted for the latter.

And no, he didn't reciprocate.
Would the story have been different had he been on an ebike? Or wearing jorts?