View Single Post
Old 06-23-23, 02:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11048 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
Originally Posted by dstke
Any opinions pro or con on WTB Resolute TCS? Puncture resistance?

Thanks
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...s-wtb-resolute

Take this comparison for what its worth...which is some good background and testing but not the be all end all final say.

I had Resolute tires on my current gravel bike a few years ago and started out loving them. They felt fast and gripped great.
...then cuts happened. Then pulling the tires to patch from the inside happened. The the tires not seating. Then they finally mounted and cuts happened happened multiple times in the following months.
The sidewalls- oh my gosh the weeping sidewalls. Those things were like paper that kids make at history camp- just thin and nearly transparent. They absorbed so much sealant to even seal the first time. It was always easy to see when a sidewall cut had happened because the tan sidewall was darker than the rest. It was a regular occurance.

I moved to Panaracer GK SS in 43mm and have been happy. They are a pain to mount on my wheels, but they are faster rolling and have been more reliable than the Resolutes. And they cost 50% less(multiple purchases now thru a couple years). Ends up I dont need much tread for riding gravel and mixed surface routes around me.

Since I am always curious, I think my next tires will be Continental Terra Speed 45. I have seen multiple reviews that they measure narrower than 45 and they roll faster than my current tires. If I do change, itll be straight curiosity and not because I feel like something is actually lacking on my current tires.

Back to the Resolute tires- shortly after I tossed mine, WTB came out with their improved SG3 version, but they didnt(and perhaps still dont?) offer it in tanwall. The SG2 specifically helps retain air and reduces cuts...the two things that I disliked.